The UK government has published its Government Transformation Strategy for 2017 – 2020, which sets out how the government will use digital to transform the relationship between the citizen and state.
The strategy pledges a “change of working, of culture and of disposition” in the civil service, with a strong focus on growing the right people, skills, and culture to maintain an agile and adaptive government.
In particular, we want to evolve our culture by:
- Embedding digital skills throughout government
- Making sure digital experts understand government
- Making sure that civil servants of other professions understand digital
- Strengthening our leaders’ skills in agile project and programme management
- Establishing better ways to develop policy and deliver services in tandem – using an agile approach to iterate rapidly